Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Thoughts From a Father


When Amber and I announced that she was pregnant. We were met with so much enthusiasm by our family and friends. But the one thing that stood out to me was my father saying "it's the best thing you will ever do. Nothing else on earth compares to being a parent". For a man who was always gifted with gab I think he put it about the best way possible. I know this blog is for Addison but please allow me use this tool to express thoughts on being a father.
Being a father is the hardest thing I have ever done and the most rewarding all in the motion. The million "what ifs " that play in your head, all the concerns you have for the well being of your child, how when she cries you would give your very breath so that she wouldn't feel an once of pain.
Now I certainly know that I have so much to learn and that this journey hasn't even crossed the starting line. I know that mistakes are going to happen. I know that whatever road Addison takes in life I will be right beside her with all the love and support I can give. I think what I am eluding to here is that much like when you see a duck on water smoothly moving along and looking graceful, what you don't see is his feet peddling as hard as he can. I have felt much like that duck for the past few months. Constantly trying to figure out how I, with all my flaws and mistakes, how I will somehow wrangle the Sun and the Moon so that I may give my daughter everything she deserves.

0 comments: